Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

People Pellets


"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking
if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity."

~ Voltaire

Remember when people used to think that a great invention would be "food pills" so that people wouldn't have to eat? This was back in the days before Julia Child, when nobody did much cooking, and the prepared food just wasn't that good.

Sort of like "People Pellets."

Sounds like kibble to me.

Hmm, in fact, I think that's what inspired the invention of boxed breakfast cereal, and Graham crackers.

When I was a kid, I tried my pet's dog biscuits to see what all the fuss was about (the dogs went gaga over them.) They actually tasted pretty good...now that I think about it I am grossed out, I can't imagine what was in them. But I haven't found a granola bar that tasted as good as those dog biscuits used to. I don't know if that says more about the granola bars, or the dog biscuits. Um,.... or me.

Now my sister makes them for her dogs to avoid gluten (which her dogs don't tolerate), and we have a booth at the Farmer's Market that has home-made dog biscuits, and they say you can eat them, too, but few people do.

Anyone got a good recipe for nutritionally healthy "human biscuits" that is GF/CF?

I think part of the fascination for me was the texture. Most human biscuits are bread-y and you can't keep them in the cookie jar or they will go stale quickly. Granola bars are too chewy and have too many competing textures. Crackers are crumbly and "crunchy" but really have no "bite" to them. I like that your dog can brush their teeth with a dog biscuit, so my human biscuits would need to do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment